Saturday, March 27, 2010

Blacksad

Interesting that I miss the class on Eurocomics for a furry convention. I read Blacksad for this week's class, which I had heard about before. I found it be an excellent noir comic, though fast paced and not nearly as mysterious as it could have been.

I am certainly not a person to have a problem with anthropomorphic critters running around doing the things that people do, and in the case of Blacksad, I think the adaptation of typecasting animalistic characters actually added to the enjoyability of the story. I feel that Blacksad would fall as a beautiful if routine noir comic if the characters were all human.

I'm unsure what to post about in this case. The style was beautifully done, especially compared to the art that normally makes up the furry world. Currently, in the fanbase, I'd say there are only about a dozen artists that actually compare or could compete with the quality of the Blacksad. The toned down watercolor provides an excellent feeling to the world that these furries live in. The sexuality and violence, stuff I'd consider quintessential to a noir novel were elegantly approached and executed. Further, the suggestion that a true human was the villian was truly ingenious. The suggestion via hands and body (before we see the reptilian face) that the person in this episode was a delightful slap in the face as humanity is suggested as the bane of the world. The reveal that it was an amphibian and that he was self proclaimed to be a “cold-blooded” bastard made it more delightful, for there are plenty of people out there that could fit the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment